Thursday, July 24, 2014

Flip My Ride: I Bought a Car Online, Sight Unseen. Part 4

      Exhausted. The auction Corolla now looks pretty good, however it sounds like a tin can full of flatulent bumble bees. The old muffler was pretty rusty, well what was left of it:


     I found a pretty good deal on mufflers at Amazon. $23 bucks shipped with my prime membership, however, it had a 2.5" inlet, and the Corolla had a 1.75 outlet. I didn't want to spend a bunch of coin on adapters, so I got to work.


     You can see the difference in sizes (above). The first order of business was to make an adapter plate. First I took a price of scrap and drilled a 1.75" hole.


      Then I cut out the plug for the 2.5" inlet in the muffler.



     Then I popped it on the muffler and welded it up.


    I'm no professional fabricator, but this worked swimmingly and I saved about $15 in adapters by building it myself, out of scrap! It sounds real nice on the Corolla too! In the next Corolla post, I'll cover some of the final cosmetic touches before I put it up for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment